Friday 21 April 2017

Local experience and influence ....

I first experienced aikido at MUN ...Les Mulholland was there. My attraction to the movement was immediate. But maybe there for 1 or 2 classes and had other commitments. I returned to the art a number of years later ..practising at Br Rice and Holy Cross. My early instructors were the MacDonald brothers ...Derm, Bill and Kevin. Sensei Derm was my consistant and longest and current sensei. I didnt know Grham Burt who died in 1979 ..he brought aikido to Newfoundland in 1967 from England. Derm, Bill and Kevin taught the forms from Graham Sensei. Sensei Derm has been my main teacher for most of my practise and is my current sensei. I have Derm Sensei to thank for involving me deeply on this path. I really didn't realize the depth of training and the opportunities in the world to visit other dojos as a kyu rank. After getting shodan I realized i still had a lot i wanted to learn. I practised even on my own time ..thats how much i loved aikido. For a number of years Paul was my practise partner, Then in recent years Jim too. Rob was for a while a number of years ago. I remember spending time with Tom Alteen ..learning again !!!Lately with the kids club on the go Colette and i explore aikido. I am rambling to say ...there are others who enjoy this learning journey too, And we just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment